Supporting UNC Health and the UNC School of Medicine with cryptocurrency
• As cryptocurrency has become an increasingly important investment option for UNC Health Foundation donors, we are now accepting donations of cryptocurrency through The Giving Block, effective immediately.
• Donors interested in donating cryptocurrency should consult their tax adviser regarding how donations of cryptocurrency and similar highly appreciated assets may fit into their tax strategy.
• For donors in the United States, the IRS has classified cryptocurrency as a form of property for tax purposes. This means that when you donate Bitcoin or other cryptocurrencies to a 501(c)(3) nonprofit such as the UNC Health Foundation, you may not be required to pay capital gains tax on donated cryptocurrency and you may still be able to claim a deduction for your gift. Please consult your tax adviser for more information.
Gift Acceptance Requirements
• In accordance with existing UNC Health Foundation policy, all contributions of cryptocurrency are converted to cash immediately upon acceptance and cannot be refunded for any reason.
• While we understand that donors may want their gift to remain publicly anonymous, UNC Health Foundation policy requires that all donors identify themselves when making a charitable contribution.
For questions about your cryptocurrency gift to UNC Health Foundation, please contact Tina Gilliam, Gift Accountant, at 919-843-9866 or email@example.com.
All donations to UNC Health Foundation will support the most pressing needs of UNC Health and the UNC School of Medicine. If you wish to designate your gift for a specific fund, please contact the UNC Health Foundation via email at firstname.lastname@example.org after making the gift.